Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Indian Wells Draw Preview


I'm just gonna go straight in, I think. I will kick off with the Women's draw, then the Men's and then go quarter by quarter. I will do the preview here then every couple of days I will look back and say what happened in the Men's singles.

Section One
Victoria Azarenka [1] d. Jamie Hampton

...I think Vika should have few problems here. However, her fourth round opponent could be any one of six people. I think it will be either Stephens or Hampton. I think Todd is on the right track with Hampton, though.

Section Two
Nadia Petrova [8] d. [10] Caroline Wozniacki

...It has been a while since Woz headed her own section, but nevertheless, she is seeded eighth here due to Na's dodgy ankle and a boycott. I think Cornet may test here. She lost to Wang, after all, and does look out of form. I think Wozniacki/Azarenka is a clash we have all been waiting for. They have not played for some time and not since Vika ascended to number 1, I think. I don't think it will happen here. If Petrova can get past her tricky third-rounder then I think she will make the quarters. Date-Krumm and Robson are also here.

Section Three
Lucie Safarova [16] d. Heather Watson

...This section literally belongs to anyone. Kerber is so out of form -and may be injured- that anything could happen. It also means that it is very tricky to pick. I think Watson could make a run here. Muguruza is also here amongst the lefties. Of the five left-handed seeds, three are in this section. Anyway this was so hard for me to pick but I think Watson has a massive opportunity here and the 2012 Osaka champ may just take it. Also, don't forget she made the third round of the Aussie, too.

Section Four
Samantha Stosur [7] vs. [24] Mona Barthel

...I think that is the fourth round match up but I can't pick it. Stosur will make the fourth round easily. I think Barthel will upset Ivanovic in the third round, too. Last year, a young German won Paris then surprisingly made the semis here. She lost to Azarenka. Then it was Kerber, now could it be Barthel? The winner of Stosur/Barthel will probably go on to the semis and play Vika. I can't pick that match but I think that will be the fourth round matchup.

Section 5
Petra Kvitova [5] d.[12] Dominika Cibulkova

...Pretty straightforward this one. Perhaps Shvedova may throw a spanner in the works, but I seriously doubt it.

Section 6
Agnieszka Radwanksa [3] d. [13] Maria Kirilenko

...Paszek and Prinkova are both more suited to grass than any other surfaces. Mallory Burdette is very talented and she may be able to beat vet Craybas. In fact, Burdette may be able to beat Paszek, too, but it is unlikely. Cirstea/Radwanska is almost a given, and Radwanska should win there. Kirilenko did test her at Wimbledon if I recall rightly and I think that will be a very entertaining three setter. Kiri may even nick it and cause an upset.

Section 7
Svetlana Kuznetsova d. [26] Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

...I love the game that A-pav has. I love the way she plays and I think Sveta has the most raw talent since Serena, and perhaps has even more raw talent. Unfortunately, for most of her career her mind has been wobbly to put it kindly. If she beats Hlavackova and Jankovic, she could just get a big streak going and go all the way to the quarters. Min is a very talented young American who won a big junior title fairly recently. She may beat Lino here and challenge Errani. I haven't seen much evidence Errani is as good on the hard courts as she is on the clay. I think A-pavs can beat her and I think she will. Bartoli is also here but I don't think she will go too far.

Section 8
Maria Sharapova [2] d.[14] R.Vinci

...This is a little easier to explain. Karatantcheva/Lepchenko should be a good match and I think that Pennetta/Schiavone will be a cracker, too. I don't know how much longer either of them have in tennis but they both hold Italian tennis records. Anyway, Pova should have too much for Navarro and also too much for anyone in this section. Also, I think Sharapova can take the number two ranking here but she needs Vika to crash early.

QF-SF-F
Azarenka [1] d. Petrova [10]
Stosur [7]/ Barthel [24] d. Safarova [16]
Kvitova [5] d. Radwanska [3]
Sharapova [2] d. Kuznetsova

...I think after that, Sharapova will continue her winning streak over Petra, whilst Azarenka wins her semi. Then Vika should beat Pova because, as Todd put it, "...Vika. Maria. Hard court. Based on recent evidence, there is no other possibility."

Right I shall now do the Men's side of things.

Section 1
Novak Djokovic [1] d. Sam Querrey

...Monaco is seriously out of form. I don't think he is a factor here. Look for Fognini to trouble Djokovic for a little before losing. Maybe 6-4 6-1 or something similar. Robredo may win a couple here, but I think Querrey/Djokovic is a safe pick. Sock/Querrey will however be very interesting.

Section 2
Milos Raonic [17] d. [8] Jo-Wilfriied Tsonga

...Tsonga is having a wobbly season thus far. Apart from that one loss to Sock, Raonic has looked superb and I think he may win this tournament. I don't think he will, but he can and he might. Tsonga has been in bad form recently and has won a title, but lost in the first round twice recently. It's hard to predict him from tournament to tournament, but I think Raonic will beat him here. Fish makes his return here. Isner has a lot of points to defend, so maybe Fish can climb to American number two. Blake, Haase, Zeballos, LLodra are all also here.

Section 3
Andy Murray [3] d. [16] Kei Nishikori

...I think Nish could beat Murray. However I don't think it will actually happen. The winner of Dolgopolov/Nish will play Murray. The Dog has been really out of form lately and I think Nish will beat him and lose to Murray in three afterwards. Giraldo is also here.

Section 4
Juan Martin Del Potro [7] d. [19] Tommy Haas

...Delpo will want to avenge his upset loss earlier and beat Chardy. I think he will do so. I think Mathieu/Davydenko will be worth a watch, too. I really believe Haas can upset Almagro in a best of three match. However, JMDP should be too big a hurdle.

Section 5
Richard Gasquet [10] d. [6] Tomas Berdych

...There is so much talent here it's ridiculous. Nalbandian,Tomic, Bellucci, Goffin, Melzer and the list goes on. Florian Mayer is in a really horrendous run of form right now. He will lose to Berdych. I think Gasquet will survive the tricky opening rounds, too. Berdych has lost the last couple of times to Gasquet and I think Richard could win a few matches here.

Section 6
David Ferrer [4] d. [13] Gilles SImon

...Kohlschreiber may worry Simon but apart from that there are few guys here good enough to mount a serious challenge. Pretty straightforward here.

Section 7
Rafael Nadal [5] d. Marcos Baghdatis

...Harrison should end his five match losing streak and beat Soeda. I think Nadal should beat him easy. Malisse Youhzny is a toss up really. Baghdatis is the best of the rest here, though Seppi may win a couple. In the end, though, Nadal has an easy section.

Section 8
Roger Federer[2] d. [18] StanislasWawrinka

...Federer will avenge his upset loss to Benny by beating him here. Hewitt might beat Isner, but I think Stan is most likely to come through here. Pretty straightforward, really.

QF-SF-F
Djokovic [1] d. [17] Raonic
Murray [3] d.[7] Del Potro
Ferrer [4] d. [10] Gasquet
Federer [2] d. [5] Nadal

...I don't think Nadal can beat Fed on this surface just yet. Soon, maybe. Reaching the QF will be an achievement for Nadal. Federer and Djokovic should progress here. Djokovic should beat the Goat but it may go the other way. Visit WTABACKSPIN.



Read more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home